The Mount Vernon, NY Office of Emergency Management (OEM) is responsible for facilitating Collaboration, Communication, Coordination & Cooperation, between internal city agencies, local businesses & organizations, and with local, state, federal, and private sector partners in emergency management to plan and prepare for responses to all natural-made or man-made disasters, mitigate their impact, and recover as quickly as possible.
To meet our mission, the OEM:
- Teaches the public how to prepare for emergencies.
- Provides on-scene support to local incident commanders during emergencies
- Activates and manages the city’s Emergency Operations Center (EOC) to manage assets and resources deployed in a large-scale disaster
- Develops public safety plans for major events within the city.
- Oversees development of the city’s plans for large-scale emergencies, disasters, hazard mitigation & continuity.
- Conducts training and exercises to test the capacity, capability, effectiveness, and interoperability of plans, processes, and policies.
- Collects, analyzes, and disseminates situational awareness to create a common operating picture.
- Coordinates and supports responses to and recovery from emergencies.
- Obtains funding in support of preparedness for Mount Vernon.
- Recruits, Trains and Manages local volunteers with our Mount Vernon Citizen Corps (MVCC) which includes Community Emergency Response Teams (CERT), Medical Reserve Corps (MRC), AuxComm, and other units.
- Coordinates local volunteer and donation management via Volunteers & Organizations Invested in Community Empowerment (VOICE)